Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy


So to the few, if any who are reading this, I am sorry for neglecting my blog. Between Rotary, school, family, friends and events, I have been more than busy.

Rotary: I have now visited and/or presented at the three Rotary clubs here in Texcoco. I am working with the clubs to see what is needed to send an Ambassadorial Scholar from Mexico abroad. In mid-October, I will start my service work on a number of sustainable development projects with the Texcoco de Gante Club. As I travel to different cities and states I am looking forward to setting up meetings with the local club members.

School: My classes are going well and I am learning a lot about the history and current situation of rural Mexico from my readings, lectures, classmates who mostly come from small pueblos from all over the country, the newspaper and various farmer conferences/events held here at Chapingo.

A few days ago I returned from a week trip to the City of Oaxaca, 6 hours south of Texcoco. I attended the 3rd Annual International Rural Development Conference along with professors and undergraduate students from Rural Sociology. People came from Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, United States, Venezuela and France to attend the conference. It was a great way to learn about a number of rural issues happening across the world such as cooperative building, effects of immigration on women left behind in their home countries, international marketing of various traditional food products and the effects of NAFTA. I’m excited to continue learning and hopefully a great topic will surge for my final papers. I’d love to research and write about a topic that includes gender, immigration to the United States and rural agriculture if possible.

Family: Little by little I am making sure to contact and visit my family here in Mexico. I haven’t seen everyone yet, but I have plenty of time to visit each family. A few weeks ago, I spent my birthday weekend with a few of my aunts and cousins. My little cousins Belen and Adrian continue to take care of the broccoli, cilantro and pepper sprouts we planted together. I feel so fortunate to have them here because each moment we spend together, we get to know one another more and more.

In general things are going very well. The only thing I’ve noticed is that I am having a difficult time managing a balanced life. There are so many great opportunities every day which I want to take advantage of, but I think I have to do a better job of making sure I don’t get too crazy and get involved in too many things. It’s very important to have time for myself and to live a relaxed life in which I can take the time needed to process my experiences and build strong relationships. Keeping this in mind, I also know that I have been here a little over a month and that this process of finding balance takes time.

(The picture is of the cows that pass in front of my window every morning. A perfect example of my class entitled Nueva Ruralidad, in which we argue that the there are no lines between rural and urban, the city and the countryside. Each influence one another and are inseparable. Exactly this picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment