Sunday, July 19, 2009

Texcoco!


Texcoco is the city in Mexico where la Universidad de Chapingo is located and where I will be spending the majority of my time. Here's a little information about the city-

Texcoco, officially Texcoco de Mora, is located in Mexico state and is to the east of Mexico City.


Feet above sea level- 7,380
2005 Census Population- 99,260
Area- 161.66 sq mi

It was originally one of the major cities of the Aztec empire (the second largest behind Tenochtitlan with an estimated 24,000 people) and one of founders of the Triple Alliance. This alliance was composed of three Aztec city-states: Tlacopan, Texcoco and Tenochtitlan. All three cities were defeated by the Cortes his men.

Texcoco is know for its amazing Spanish colonial style architecture including a church built a top pre-Columbian structures.

Once I arrive in Texcoco, I'll be sure to post pictures of the city. I know Diego Rivera has one of his famous murals at la Universidad de Chapingo and you better believe that I'll be checking it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment